How to become a WSSL Coach - step by step
1. Register as a Volunteer. Log into your wssl in-league account and make sure that your profile is up to date. Make sure that the box for Head Coach or Assistant Coach is checked off.
2. Complete a background check. Once each soccer year, upon approval by your division head as a coach, you will need to complete a background check. In your WSSL Family Profile, if you are first-time volunteer, click Volunteer Now to select your preference(s) which will initiate a background check. Otherwise, click on Begin Background Check under AYSO REGISTRATION.
An email will be sent to you from Sterling Volunteers. Click the link in the email and follow the instructions to complete the background check process. When your background check is complete you will see "Complete" under AYSO REGISTRATION.
A background check expires after 465 days. Sterling Volunteers will send you a reminder one month before it is set to expire.
3. Take the Safe Haven, CDC Concussion Awareness, and Sudden Cardiac Arrest online courses. You only need to take them once. Once the background check is complete (you will get an email notification from Sterling Volunteers - typically within 24-48 hours of submitting the request), then you can take online courses in the AYSOU learning library called eTrainU. Instructions are:
Log into your WSSL account. Click on the Graduation Cap icon at the top of the page that loads the eTrainU/SafeSport login page. Click on the Login to eTrainU button. Once in eTrainU, click on Training Library in the left sidebar. You will find these compliance courses under the Safe Haven category.
4. Take the SafeSport online course. Use the instructions above to go to the eTrainU/SafeSport webpage on the WSSL website. At the bottom you will see a link to the SafeSport website. Once there, create an account using your WSSL credentials or login if you have a SafeSport account. While taking the SafeSport course, you can pause it at any time (click the "X") and continue from that point when you return.
5. Take the appropriate coach certification course in-person. Click HERE for the schedule of coach certification courses and for instructions on how to enroll in a course.
6. Read the suspension policy for coach and player misconduct. This policy applies to all coaches and players in the WSSL Core program.