The Fields We Play On
We have the privilege of playing on natural grass and artificial turf fields in Riverside Park and Central Park, as well as on Wards Island. We also play on artificial turf fields within the city block system at 138th Street, 114th Street, 101st Street and 97th Street. We work closely with the NYC Department of Parks and Recreation, the Central Park Conservancy and the Randall's Island Sports Foundation to care for and improve them.
Information on these pages gives you locations for each field, any special considerations, as well as instructions for the set up, break down and maintenance of the fields. If you want to find out what field your child plays on and on what day, click here.
- No smoking on or near any fields.
- No dogs allowed on or near any fields.
- No bicycles allowed on any fields. Please chain them to the nearest fence.
- Turf shoes are allowed on all fields.
- Cleats may only be worn on Dyckman, Jacob Schiff, Thomas Jefferson, Frederick Douglass 101st and RSP, 103rd and RSP, and 107 and RSP. No cleats are allowed on fields in Central Park, Trump Field in Riverside Park, 73rd and 77th Street Fields in Riverside Park or on Kantor Fields on Randall's Island.
West Side Soccer League maintains and replaces old equipment, particularly goals and nets. We use the best and safest equipment we can find. We also make sure that the size of the goals is appropriate for the age group using it. We provide equipment not only for our own players but also for players in the community at large.
Detailed information on how to set up and break down equipment for each field is outlined under the tabs at the left.
Every WSSL player has a chance to play on nearly every field that we use. Field assignments are always dependent on the permits given to us by the Parks Department. Field assignments have been reconfigured -- by an expert committee of WSSL leadership and after careful analysis -- to best fit the soccer needs of the players from each age group. To find out where your child plays and on what days, see Division/Where & When Will Our Division Play?
WSSL loves to play in beautiful weather, but we definitely push play in drizzle, rain, wind, cold and hot temperatures. Please dress for the weather -- hot or cold. Kids enjoy playing soccer in all conditions.
WSSL cancels games and practices for two reasons:
1. The safety of the children
2. The protection of natural grass fields (This kind of closure is managed by the Parks Department. WSSL works closely with Parks, but cannot control their decisions.)
The comfort of parents and coaches is NOT one of the league's considerations.
Decisions regarding cancellations are made by the Commissioner in discussion with Division Heads and Chief Referees and/or by the Parks Department. In addition, during the course of play a referee may cancel a game if the conditions on the field become unsafe for play. Games are ALWAYS cancelled if there is lightning or thunder. A coach or group of coaches may not decide to cancel or shorten a game because the weather gets uncomfortable.
Please check the web site homepage for field updates/game status on days where rain, snow or other weather may interfere with WSSL's game schedule. WSSL communicates with the Parks Department early on days with weather and does its best to have any field closures or game cancellations posted by 7:30 am on the day of the games.